Monday, 10 February 2014

Retro Restoration of the Month: February Fireplace

A taa daaaaaah post





How to renovate and install a new fireplace without spending any money. 

well hardly any... 

Take one unloved, inherited with the house, old fireplace...that has been painted many colours....




and smash it all to pieces...(actually we gave it to someone) but I would have enjoyed smashing it up!.

You are then left with an ugly hole in the wall

Like this;

Next source an unwanted railway sleeper, 





Locate one's 'talented other half'' usually to be found 'brewing' stuff in the garage.

Ask for help with carpentry to match the design that can be found in my head! 




After "making good" surrounding area and ugly hole in wall, fix finished railway sleeper securely in place.




Live with it like this for a few months during the summer.
Until the weather becomes cold enough to want a 'real' fire.




Locate one's 'talented other half'' still to be found 'brewing' stuff in the garage. 

Ask him to line fireplace with 'fire bricks' in order to have a real fire.





Whilst said fire bricks are 'going off"  technical term for cement setting hard.

(See darling I do occasionally listen!) 

Consider the next phase of project management.

Tiling and hearth.......



Tiles = 1 box of plain white + 6 vintage tiles from ebay. 

The hearth is a huge piece of welsh slate we found at a reclamation yard for about £90 inc vat.
You can see it in the next pic.

Get ready for tiling....

For approval purposes the toh did a 'mock up' of how the tiles would look!



Clever or what?

So on with the tiling....as you can see some of which was done just before christmas.

Then some grouting.....nearly there



The toh then whipped up a galvanised metal surround, I requested brass screws as fixings... all in keeping with the 'Industrial look' I am loving right now.

Finished!

from this to this....



We now have a new fireplace with a retro industrial look.



Note the brass screws below...





I love it, truly truly love it, 





by day......



and of course at night.....







Bestest Monday evening wishes to you

Come warm yourself by the fire.....



and don't forget my giveaway link in side bar at top!

30 comments:

  1. One word FABULOUS!!!!!! Love those tiles and your TOH has done one fabulous job. The transformation is amazing. Love it!! Well done to both of you, tres chic! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Hannapat, glad you like!
      d x

      Delete
  2. Absolutely lovely! Your TOH is truly T! Eleanor x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your projects LDJ. I should be getting on with some of my own and seeing you or is the toh getting on with yours gives me the impetus.

    Jean x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, great job! I like the tiles and the railway sleeper is a very creative idea :-). Have a nice evening!
    Nata xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your new fireplace is gorgeous, the tiles and mantel are just perfect! Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Daisy, a real transformation. I am starting to get toh envy :o) x love the bird tiles and the sleeper too, such a talented pair you are xox

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! What a wonderful job you're done!!! You must be so pleased with how it turned out! :-)
    Carly
    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my word - it looks amazing! I wish I had known you when I was doing up my last house! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful! Every detail is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful. I realised with horror that we have the same inhereted nasty cream marble fire surround. It was the one thing I said had to go when we first looked round the house. Well that and the nasty 90's pub style wallpapering in the hall. It hasn't gone yet (either of them) but we did fit a wood burner back in October. The other half was so excited, as were the boys. They couldn't wait for the cement to go off. Sadly while we were waiting the weather turned warm again. They all sat about looking glum. I came down on the Saturday morning when we should have had our first fire, but really it was about 70 outside to find all three of them pinned to the wall in their pants by the heat. A wonderful memory!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Not sure if my last comment sent properly so will say it all again. Fabulous makeover, it looks lovely...especially those tiles...very you.. I will be round in a sec with my marshmellows in my onsie haha xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, it's beautiful! I Love those tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! An amazing job by both of you. Love those bird tiles, and the whole look is so fresh and inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Daisy absolutely fabulous, I love it, love it, love it! A wonderful post as always. Sending you love and hugs
    Dorothy
    :-)xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an amazing transformation, Daisy! Love the bird tiles x

    ReplyDelete
  16. Absolutely gorgeous Daisy and huge congratulations to your TOH - he's a gem! I too have an OH who lurks creatively in the garage / workshop! it's good news! Happy (and warm) Tuesday! E x

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this transformation! The eBay tiles set it off beautifully and I love the sleeper mantle. Lokks very cosy when the fires alight. Well done :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful, what else can one say.
    I shall have to source a TOH ;0)
    Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow! I love it, the tiles are so sweet and thanks for sharing the process, that post might come in very handy around here. :)
    Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  20. One word ... fabulous ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey, what a great make-over! I love the tiles too, and I'm so impressed with the efforts of your TOH - he certainly is talented! Unfortunately, my OH is not so good at DIY, we have to pay to get shelves put up! However he is a talented musician and writes me lovely songs - so he definitely makes up for it and I'll let him off, lol. Enjoy your fireplace, Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  22. You and your talented OH are amazing. Love it! xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely stunning!
    You must both be very proud!
    X

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful. I'm very jealous. Ours needs doing but neither of us has the skills to tackle it ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ooooh! lovely... do you hire him out? xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. It's absolutely gorgeous - what a transformation! Love the cluster of hanging lights too. You have a very talented OH! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful transformation. Love the tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ~ Ooh I love an open fire that's real....Very beautiful tiles and there is nothing quite like it!!
    Mr Rosey tinted spec's did ours a 'wee' while ago now...,..he said it was the most difficult job he had ever done, as our chimney nearly feel down,,,,He did look like 'Bert' from Mary Poppins after he finished!! hehe...And have a guess just what I asked him to do next....YES, the one in the kitchen, as I'd collected the vintage tiles and stored them for over five years... I decided to have my oven in the old chimney breast after he had knocked it all out!!!!!!...But I do love coming home to my cosy coal fire...Hope you are safe and dry, miss Daisy...
    Hugs Maria x

    ReplyDelete

Hello... I really do love reading your comments...and get so disappointed when there aren't any....so go on make my day! bestest Daisy